Let’s play a game of “Way Back When”
It’s always baffled me how something so simple can really trigger memories of the “good ‘ol days”. There are so many sounds and sights that are quick to turn on the nostalgia switch and send you right on a cruise down memory lane.
While thinking about a post for this week’s blog, it hit me. Why not pick 5 vehicles that excited you or captured your attention when you were a kid? So, I did! And here are the one’s I remember the most (in no particular order):
5. The Bookmobile – YES! Who didn’t love to see this mini library on wheels parked outside of the school when you arrived or went out for recess? There was nothing like it. Shelf upon shelf of cool books browse and check out. And if you were REALLY lucky, there would sometimes be a storyteller aboard ready to read you a tale or two.
4. The Ice Cream Truck – Ah yes, a staple of the summertime. That all too familiar DING! DING! that you hear from a distance meant one thing. You only had a few minutes to run and get some money from mom because the frozen treat mobile was ON THE WAY!
3. The Field Trip Bus – Remember waiting anxiously for this? No sooner that you step off of your school bus, you were ready to climb aboard the field trip bus, which was likely headed to the local museum or zoo. What was better than the field trip bus arriving? Teasing the other kids that have to stay at school!
2. Cool TV/Movie Cars – Oh yea…I went there. These silver screen beauties where always guaranteed to get your attention. The DeLorean of the Back To The Future movies and the Batmobile of the Batman comics and movies where definitely toy collectors items, but seeing one in person…amazing!
1. The Classic Car – As happy as sighting one of the above cars would make you feel, there was nothing like being in the presence of a classic car. They just have a certain “something” that commands respect and attention. Shown is a 1971 GMC Spirit.
If at least one of these didn’t bring back a good memory, I don’t know WHAT to tell ya! Understand, these are just a few that crossed my mind, but there are SO many more. Can you think of any? Leave us a comment below or Facebook or @FuszBuickGMC.
You have to admit it, cars are AWESOME! There is no one that hasn’t sat back and thought about their dream car and pictured themselves driving around and craving the attention from envious onlookers. For some, they visualize the cool convertible. Riding around with the top down and their hair blowing in the wind. Others (myself included) may have a more “Knight Rider” approach. The sleek, super powered sports car ripping through the streets at insane speeds. Domestic or foreign. Sedan or coupe, cars have come a long way…a REALLY long way. Gone are the days of the Ford Model T’s with crank starters and whopping top speeds of 45 MPH. In comparison, the modern vehicle soars to unbelievable heights as automotive technology improves and consumer demands and lifestyles create avenues of invention that would have otherwise been stifled.
So, with all of that being said, isn’t it ironic that in some respects, cars have not advanced as much as we thought they would have by now. Well, let me rephrase that. Cars haven’t advanced to WHERE we thought they would be by now. Think about it, years ago we thought that by the time we entered the “new millenium” the world would look like an episode of “The Jetsons”. A futuristic universe with robots EVERYWHERE and cars that defy gravity and fly you to your destination. The flying car has always been the epitome of advanced automotive technology as it has been depicted time and time again in science fiction. However, this does not mean that cars are behind in the times, it just suggests that these television shows and movie concepts may have been a tad bit behind in theirs.
Now, the million dollar question is…what DO we have to look forward to in the cars of the future. Within the past 20 years, we have evolved from keys to keyless operation, touch screen navigation, televisions and even cars that park themselves. With all that has been done, it’s hard to predict what the “next big thing” is going to be.
Well, according to several different media outlets, the possibility of car-to-car communication is looking promising. The purpose of this communication among drivers would be to share information in regards to road hazards, traffic jams and other safety precautions.
Also, another feature we may be seeing soon is an interactive windshield with different icons and holograms available to assist and inform on the area you are traveling according to a CNN.com article. The gesture of pointing at a particular item within you view will let you know more about it.
HOW COOL IS THAT?!!
Something else cool to note: The Side Blind Zone Alert feature in the 2013 Buick LaCrosse is pretty sweet! I bet Mr. George Jetson didn’t have one of those babies!
As for cars being able to fly, as incredible as it would be to experience, I doubt that it will be debuting anytime soon. However, it will definitely be exciting to see what new technologies and innovations will be bestowed upon cars in the future.
What do you guys think? What crazy innovations would you like to see?